Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2011

21 Things That Will Be Obsolete by 2020?

A former colleague of mine posted this article from the 21st Century Fluency Project to his Facebook account:

21 Things That Will Be Obsolete by 2020

Now, normally I love the technology and most of what it entails. But this post struck a raw nerve with me and I had to reply... mostly because I can't keep my mouth shut. Here's my response:
As we imagine the bright and shining future, we have to remember that it will be a bleak and cold future if we don't put interpersonal relationships into the equation.  
#9 struck me as funny because the courts have sided with parents that even wearing trackable ID's in schools is a violation of privacy.

Don't get me wrong, technotopian ideals appeal to me. But I am always reminded that the united states population -- even the "progressive" part -- is reactionary and conservative.

Perhaps this is how things will play out in China or Japan or even in Finnland by 2020. But in Bellingham and Seattle, we're still on a 1:4 computer to student ratio. It's 2011 now. I have been teaching for 9 years with the same technology access level for students. I don't see things changing that much in 9 more years, though I would welcome being surprised and shocked! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment